Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Marketing, Magic, and Ministry


Much of what I do in ministry is influenced by my interests in magic and marketing. In one classic sleight-of-hand book, "Strong Magic," the author makes the point that in advertising, marketers exaggerate the feature(s) of their product that they want consumers to notice. Think of the recent pizza ad where one of the men has a huge nose and comments on the smell, another has huge eyes and says "look at the cheese," and the last guy with big ears says, "that sounds good!" The new Subway commercial shows two people ordering at a fast food drive-thru, and the items they order are such things as a double chin, thunder thighs, and a bedonk-a-donk butt. The caption is, "What are you really ordering?" Good marketers help the consumer to focus on the real features of the product, and they use various methods, such as exaggeration, to highlight those features. (What feature of the glue is being emphasized in the picture?) I use magical routines in order to point people to different Biblical truths and teachings, and I'm sure that different people have different ways of getting people's attention and leading them to truth (Keith puts Led Zeppelin lyrics on his marquis - great idea!). My question for everyone is this: If you were putting together an ad to accentuate the features of your church that you want people to notice, what features would you highlight? What characterizes your church and your ministry? What real needs does your ministry meet in the lives of people, and how can you show that to them? Can you come up with 3 features that are unique to your ministry?

7 comments:

Randy Roda said...

Great Post...I always tried to emphasize that church has heart...a heart for God and a heart for people. At Lawrence Park, our emblem was a heart with the cross and flame through it.

Now that I am a parishioner, I see things differently. I think we need to focus on the real change that God can bring to people's lives. Not just in their thinking, but in their doing. Wesley UMC Erie calls such people "fully devoted followers." I kind of like that.

By the way McIlwain's taste in music is way outdated. We need to get him out of the 60's.

Keith H. McIlwain said...

I'd try and put together something really funny. Maybe some variation of the caveman commercials.

Jeff Vanderhoff said...

Jefferson Hills UMC - so open minded, even a caveman can get saved!

Unknown said...

hmmm.. I can't post a direct image, but you can see the answer on a graphic I made for our "Reunion Church Invitation" (it also is on our t-shirts).

Jeff Vanderhoff said...

We're confused... come be confused with us! Sounds like a great slogan for our Annual Conference next week! Good stuff, Joe!

Brett Probert said...

Well, meeting in a warehouse, we are known for that. We currently have a marketing team that is focusing on how to capitalize on that.

We also are known for being different...kinda mega-church style with a small family church feel.

Mostly though, people flock here from around the world because of me.

Prettybird said...

I went to Brett's church to see him as Lord Licorice in the Life Size Candyland. He was NOT in costume. This would be considered false advertising. I'm suing. (Is that spelled right?)

Great point, Jeff. Whether we like it or not, we are marketing ourselves. People can't help but judge us by first impressions. I think if I were advertising our church I'd show something about kids running around doing outrageous things...some of our 11:00 services are really loud! Doesn't bother me at all...there's nothing a child could do in church that one of mine hasn't already done. Maybe a variation of the "Calgon take me away" commercials...find peace and quiet with God...that kind of thing.