Friday, June 29, 2007

Living Prayer


This past spring I taught a class for our District Lay Speaking School, and as our material we used "The Workbook of Living Prayer" by Maxie Dunnam. This is a wonderful source to use for anyone who would like to deepen their prayer life and learn different ways to approach God as well as to hear from God. I also read "Prayer: does it Make a Difference?" by Philip Yancey during this same time period, and together, those books helped to rejuvenate my prayer life and help me come to a MUCH greater understanding of how to "pray continually." Living prayer involves being in tune with God in an almost constant conversation with Him throughout the day. This is certainly not easy to do, and I am not even close to fully grasping how to live in such a way. But I'm much closer than I was before I read these two books and started experimenting with the different methods and practices the authors recommend. I like the way Philip Yancey summarizes prayer in one particular chapter of the book: 1. Keep it Honest. 2. Keep it Simple. 3. Keep it Up. There's a nice 3 point sermon for those who are looking for one on prayer!

1 comment:

Randy Roda said...

Thanks for the post...I will check out Yancey's book. I have liked his other stuff.