Sunday, July 22, 2007

Hook, Line, and Sinker, Sucker!

I believe I've been taken again, thanks to my overly optimistic desire to trust people. A man showed up at my house today (conveniently, or not so, located right next door to the church) with a seemingly sincere tale of woe, and a desperate need for some cash to get him safely on the road to join his ailing family member, etc., etc., etc. Well, sucker that I am, I gave him some $ and gave him a ride to where he needed to be, with many assurances from him that he would be back to repay me for my kindness in his time of need. Well, I like to believe the best in human nature, so, although I doubted I'd ever see him again, I hoped that he would live up to his word. Surprise above all surprises, he did indeed come back later to repay me! When he walked up to the house the second time and said that he had come to pay me back, I was utterly floored and beginning to praise God for this genuine display of appreciation. (I have helped people before, and NEVER been repaid, but for some foolish reason, I continue to help people in apparent need). So I was amazed and pleased that finally I had helped someone who genuinely needed help, and here they were, back on their feet again, and ready to repay me! Wow! Well, not quite. He pulled out a checkbook, and prepared to write me a check for the amount I had given him, PLUS an extra $ amount that he wanted me to give him additionally right then, to help him get something else taken care of that he needed that night (Sunday, no banks open), and I could cash the check tomorrow and be paid back in full for my generosity. Well, at that point, I was onto the game, and my earlier joy at thinking that here was a genuine person in need came crashing down to reality as I realized that he had duped me once, thought I must be an easy mark, and was now trying to get even more from me. At this point I told him I had helped him all that I could, and didn't have anything else to give him. He insisted on writing a check for the amount I had given him earlier, and I had him write it out to my church, but when he gave it to me, I saw that it was a starter check (no name or address), and I'm confident that it is as rubber as he is crooked. I can't win in these situations, because if I help someone, I can't help but fear that I might have been swindled. And if I don't help someone, I can't help but fear that I might have turned Jesus away in a time of genuine need. Either way, I feel guilty and unsettled whenever this type of situation occurs. The words that guide me are those of the dear grandmother of my DS in seminary, who always lived by this mantra: "Better that I give and they not need, than that they need and I not give." I try to live by these words, but still have a bitter taste from the overwhelming evidence that most of the time someone asks for a handout, they really don't need it.

5 comments:

Brenda said...

It is nice to see someone still willing to help, even if the help is not truely needed. After all we do not really know. This riminds of the time shortly after my husband was appointed. A young man came knocking one night and siad he needed to talk. Long story short we helped him out with some food and stuff. When we shared this story with some other pastors they immediately said that we were being cased and that we were taken. I was saddened that this was the first reacation. To me it sounded like the good samaratin story from the Bible. If someone in need whether real or not can not come to the church where else can they go. After all someone who says they are in need and are not in need really are in need. In need of the love and grace of our Lord.

Randy Roda said...

I have been burned many times by people like this. I had one guy who needed a bus ticket Buffalo because he was trying to get home...so I gave him some money. About a month later, he came through the foodbank line and I saw him. I asked him why he wasn't in Buffalo and he was speechless. Knowing that my money probably bought him booze, cigarettes, or even worse drugs, really bothered me.

But then something occured to me. How weak, broken and lonely this person really was. After thinking about that I prayed for him and I felt better.

Brett Probert said...

Please endorse the check and send it to me...I'll take the chance.

Jeff Vanderhoff said...

Give me your address, Brett. You can set fire to it! I checked at the bank yesterday; not at all surprisingly, it was just opened recently, and there were not enough funds in the account to cover the check. I told them to flag the account, as I'm assuming this will be the first of many bad checks coming from it. I probably inadvertently supported the all-too-prevalent drug culture of Johnstown. It's an odd feeling.

Jeff Kahl said...

You address an issue that I continue to struggle with: am I throwing pearls to swine or am I entertaining angels unaware?
I guess if we're going to take Jesus as our model, it's probably best to take the risk.
Have fun at Horse Camp, Jeffrey! Emily and Danielle are sounding excited about it!