Saturday, November 3, 2007

STRESSED? Line Up the Usual Suspects










What are the usual suspects when it comes to stress? I believe there are 4 that 'line' up readily for most of us - Headlines, Deadlines, Lifelines, and Bottom lines.




1. Headlines - Reading the morning paper or watching the evening news can trigger unbelievable levels of stress, as we consider the common newsroom phrase "If it bleeds, it leads!" Sadly, this is all too true. So much tragedy, death, and destruction abounds in our world, and simply reading the Headlines every day can depress and stress us.




2. Deadlines - Too much of life is a race against time, trying to squeeze in every activity, for ourselves or others. Church responsibilities, family responsibilities, unexpected situations, etc. can take away so much time, and leave us scrambling to get done with the things we feel we need to accomplish.




3. Lifelines - Here I think of health and wellness issues, and relationships. How does our lifeline look? That call from the doctor regarding your last checkup, that last meal you ate that gave you heartburn, that anxiety over the growing numbers on the scale, etc. Problems in relationships - with God, with spouses, family members, friends, that idiot that cut us off in traffic - can cause unbelievable amounts of stress and worry.




4. Bottom lines - Financial issues, folks. Debt continues to grow, expenses continue to rise, and income continues to, well, not quite keep up. This happens personally, and in the church. Financial issues are one of the top issues that couples fight about, and are a common factor in divorces.




Think about what stresses you out. Does it fit into one of these 4 categories? Most of the time, my stressors fall squarely in one of them. There are no simple answers, but I do think that identifying what stresses us out can help. I also think that when we categorize them like this, it shows us that it is very common for these things to cause stress, and we can know we're not alone in battling anxiety in these areas. While there are no easy answers, I do believe that perspective is important. Paul writes in Philippians 4 some very compelling and challenging words that relate to all of these things:








Philip. 4:10-13 "I rejoice greatly in the Lord that at last
you have renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you have been concerned, but you
had no opportunity to show it. [11] I am not saying this because I am in need,
for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. [12] I know what it
is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the
secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry,
whether living in plenty or in want. [13] I can do everything through him who
gives me strength."




What an amazing outlook! I used need to take a page or two from Paul's book when I start to worry about the things going on in my life. And I thought I was an optimist!

2 comments:

Jeff Kahl said...

Nail on head, Jeff.
You definitely lined up my usual suspects...
So now, when I do a 4-part "Adult Sunday School Class" on "Headlines, Deadlines, Lifelines, and Bottom Lines," I promise to give you appropriate credit!
Thanks dude!

Brett Probert said...

Good stuff...and a good antidote.