Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Everything is brighter with the top down!


This weekend, Karen and I celebrated our 11th anniversary with some time away from the kids, and my uncle generously let us borrow his cherry red Miata convertible! It was a beautiful weekend to be outside, and it is so much more fun to drive around with the top down in weather like that! Every year we make time for ourselves to be together, away from the kids, and have time to enjoy with each other. It is amazing what a difference this makes in our relationship. We are very blessed with 4 wonderful children, and I love being a pastor and working in the church, but it is important for us to get away from everything a couple times a year and reconnect as a couple. We spent an afternoon at Twin Lakes Park in Greensburg, floating serenely in a rowboat and watching the ducks swim past. Our anniversary is May 24th (Aldersgate Day, being the good Methodists we are!), and it was nice to see that all around the area, people were launching fireworks to commemorate our anniversary! Now it's back to church work, with a funeral, hospital visits, and other situations to have to come back to. But it's nice to get away for awhile, and see the world from the driver's seat of a cherry red convertible Miata with my wife beside me!

6 comments:

Pastor Jeff said...

Don't ever stop taking the time to be with your wife and family. After your responsibility to God they are your number one concern.

The church will still be there when you come back and most of the problems will remain as well. :)

I am in conversation now with three pastors that are dealing with broken relationships and I am convinced that we need to address this issue and make it an accountabilty issue to meet the needs of our clergy families. Too many of our churches are allowed to consume us and leave nothing for ourselves or our families.

Thank you for setting a great example for the rest of us.

Blessings

Brett Probert said...

That is so cool. Um, I don't know how to ask this, but Carla and I want to go on a date together, and um, well, we were wondering, you know, like if your uncle could, maybe, if it isn't too much to ask, well....

Jeff Vanderhoff said...

Brett,
Funny! I can ask, but you look too much like my brother, and I'm the favorite, so, probably not. Here's an idea:
Sell a couple guitars and buy your own Miata!

Anonymous said...

11 years with you? It really must be love. Drive fast and let the Son in.

Jeff Kahl said...

11 YEARS?!? Time flies, brother!
I remember chauffeuring you up to Long Island in my junk car with the bad brakes. Sounds like you've upgraded your mode of transportation since then!

Jeff Vanderhoff said...

Jeff,
I remember well the trip in that old car. Sadly, I've downgraded since then - I'm now driving my daughter's car because my old one died! That makes the opportunity to borrow the Miata every now and then so much nicer!