Thursday, July 31, 2008

Questions from Horse Camp Youth


This week I am at Camp Allegheny, participating in the Extended Wrangler Program. It's been an outstanding week so far, and we have some great kids in this camp! The first night, I asked them all to think of a question they have about God, the Bible, religion, Christianity, church, life in general, etc., and to write it down on a slip of paper. Throughout the week, we've been spending time together discussing their questions and trying to come to a better understanding of these important issues. With 36 teenagers, I wasn't quite sure what to expect. Would they take it seriously? Would I get a bunch of (or even a few) ridiculous questions? Would I be able to answer them? I am amazed to say that every single one of the campers took it very seriously, and asked GREAT questions. I can't answer them all, but we've had a great time exploring life together as we wrestle with them. Let me share some of the questions with you:

Does God really forgive you for any mistake you've done in the past?

Why is God so demanding? How did he be God?

I feel so close to God here at camp. I feel very connected. But when I leave I feel I lose some of the connection. How can I change this?

How was the Bible formed, and who put it all together?

What race were Adam and Eve?

I read somewhere that the Bible is degrading to women. Is this true?

Other religions that don't believe in Jesus - are they going to heaven?

How do I get to heaven?

Why do people die?

What defines a good Christian?

It's said that God is so loving, but also that we should fear Him. How do we do both well at the same time?


This is just a third of the questions that they came up with. Perhaps I'll post the rest later, but this gives an idea of the type of things that are on these teenagers' minds. If any of you have insights into any of these questions, please feel free to post them! Thanks!

2 comments:

Keith H. McIlwain said...

Lots of good questions.

See Zilhaver for the answers.

Anonymous said...

Jeff...I am back in blogland with a new blog called upwords at www.randyroda.blogspot.com