Monday, March 10, 2008

Crossing Denominational Lines

I have an interesting Christian pedigree - born and baptized into the Catholic Church, raised and confirmed as a United Methodist, sampled UMC, Baptist Church, and EV Free in college, went to a Brethren Seminary, attended an independent church while at Seminary, got married in a Baptist Church, and now serve as an ordained UM pastor. Methodism has definitely predominated, but I've worshipped in a variety of denominational settings, and I believe they each have value. Right now we send our kids to the AWANA program at the Baptist church in town, simply because it is an outstanding program for kids, and my own church doesn't have anything similar to offer. At first, I felt a little funny about my kids going to another church on Sunday evenings, but I got over it quickly because I saw the value for my children. They are learning a lot about the Bible and the Christian faith through this program, they are socializing with many other kids, and they don't have to see "Dad" in the forefront for this portion of their development. I fear that my being a pastor could be detrimental, in some ways, to my children. We've all heard of those rebellious PKs that raise so much trouble, and I don't want my kids to be that someday. But if the church where I am appointed to serve does not offer ministry to my children, do I neglect their needs for the sake of my church? I understand that I could start a ministry for them, (and we have kept them involved in many of our own church's activities and ministries, and started some as well) but the Baptist church offers a great program that they can utilize. And, Karen and I get to drop them off for an hour and a half every Sunday night and go out to dinner together! What more could we ask for? Seriously, I just wanted to post about the importance of helping my children develop their Christian faith in the best way possible, and if that means crossing a denominational line to do so, I'm ok with that. I try to keep them rooted in Methodism, but the focus for me is Christ, not a particular denominational expression of Christianity.

8 comments:

Charlotte said...

Thank you, Jeff for pointing out the importance of other churches providing spirtual guidance for our kids. Being a staff member of Christ Church in Bethel Park affords a TON of opportunities for everyone in the family. And there is a great youth program at Christ Church, too. However, what do you do when your kids seem to hate the youth program at their church? My oldest daughter (who just turned 18) was invited to the local Assemblies of God youth events and fell in love with the whole program. I, as a staff member, have been chastised by a couple of fellow staff members about letting her go to this "radical thinking" church. Are you kidding me? They teach the awesome love of Christ without all the cliquish behaviors that kids fall prey to. You see... they teach that cliques are wrong... something our youth group needs to take a lead in. I don't care where she goes, as long as she's going and being fed in a positive way... and she is. I used to care about what others thought, but now I care more about my kids being fed about the love of Christ... which is far more important. Thanks for your thoughts on this!

Jeff Vanderhoff said...

Hi Charlotte,
That does make it a difficult choice when you have to decide between your church and another one. My daughter used to go to a baptist church youth group at our last church, but that was because our church didn't have a youth group. Here, we have a youth group, and although it's a good one, it's smaller and doesn't have as many opportunities as the Baptist church's. Fortunately, our daughter has been ok with going to our own, so it hasn't been an issue. But if it did become one, I say you have to do what you feel God is leading you to do, and at times that may mean putting your family before the church. Not always, but sometimes. One pastor (not sure who, but I heard this at Seminary, I think) used to tell his church: "Don't ask me to help your kids get to heaven and watch my own kids go down the road to hell." It was his way of saying, I'm here for the church and the ministry, but my family is important too.

Brett Probert said...

Good to have you back in the blogging world!!!!

Eric Park said...

You may be interested to hear that my wife Tara, who was raised in the Baptist tradition (General Association of Regular Baptist tradition, to be more precise) is the owner of several AWANA trophies from her childhood.

In fact, when we first met, I wooed her by singing one of my favorite Beatle songs:

"AWANA hold your hand!!"

Of course, she fell in love with me instantly!!

Jeff Vanderhoff said...

Eric,
I'm surprised McIlwain didn't chime in with the Beatles tune. Where did you get your sense of humor? And can you give it back? Just kidding! Are you going to Olmsted at the end of the month? I'd like to consult with you on a project I'm working on.

Eric Park said...

I'll be there, homefry.

Keith H. McIlwain said...

Eric...that's just sad.

Jeff...we do the same thing. In Dawson, we sent our kids to the local Church of Christ youth group; now, we send them to the big Presby church down the street for that.

Sure, if we had a functioning youth group, they'd participate, but I don't have gifts for that, and, besides...I'm Dad. I think it's GREAT when we affirm that we - Methodists, Presbys, Catholics, whatever - are all on the same team. I'm not out to make United Methodists; I'm out to make disciples.

Heck, even if my kids become Presbyterian someday, it could be worse...they could become magicians.

Jeff Kahl said...

Good thoughts, bro. Like you, I've definitely gone through the tour of all denominations. I think each has things to offer the whole body of Christ.

In fact, one of my friends once said that a "perfect church" is one that has the missional emphasis of the Baptists, the organizational polity of the Presbyterians, the worship of the Charismatics, the social justice emphasis of the Methodists, and the sense of holiness and tradition of the Roman Catholics!

I don't know if that's possible this side of heaven, but it's a good thought!