Monday, August 6, 2007

The Sound of Music


Last week I preached a sermon about the place of music in worship and life. We explored the Psalms as they demonstrate the highs and lows of human emotion, and we looked at how Jesus and His disciples sang a hymn together before setting out for the Mount of Olives and the upcoming crucifixion. To introduce the feeling of how music can inspire us and give expression to our feelings, I played a track from Jeff Kahl's recently released CD, "Glory". There are 1o songs, 7 of which are self composed, all of which are stirring, inspirational, and uplifiting. I've had several people from my church request copies of his CD, so I'm busy burning them this week. Just kidding! Actually, I asked Jeff how to get more, and he is going to send me some to offer (only $10) to those who are interested. This is not a sales pitch, just a post to make you aware of an awesome new collection of excellent piano music for anyone who is interested. It also made for a great intro into my sermon, and I've used it as background music for powerpoint shows as well. What creative ways have some of you incorporated music in your worship services?

4 comments:

Keith H. McIlwain said...

I love having diverse instruments when possible...a violin or a flute or a trumpet or whatever. Kate sometimes (not often enough!) plays fiddle along with the hymns, which adds a certain texture that inspires.

Jeff Kahl said...

So apparently you are now my press agent, Punk. Does this mean you get a percentage of the profits?

Jeff Vanderhoff said...

You don't need a press agent, and I have already profited enough from the CD from listening to it and using it to enhance our worship services. I just think it's something that other people would like if they knew it was out there. Punk.

Jeff Kahl said...

Okay, I'll take that. So can I profit from you by borrowing that optical illusion thing for a youth group in September?
After all, if you're gonna talk up my music, then I need to talk up your magic and creative preaching skills!