Monday, August 27, 2007

You Can't Change the Weather...

Vacation last week. Jersey shore. Beach. Boardwalk. Fun in the sun. Problem? No sun! It rained the entire 3 days we were there, and it brought up for me the old saying: "You can't change the weather, so you may as well change your attitude about the weather!" We changed out attitude and had a great time anyway. But it got me thinking. We can't change or control the weather. Can we change or control the culture, and the church's place in it? How do we cope with a changing culture, where the church loses ground year after year? Not just in membership, attendance, and giving, but in societal importance. In the previous generation, the church was often the meeting place for the community. Sometimes people went for worldly reasons (business contacts, to uphold their family's good name, etc.), but for whatever reason, the church had a higher esteem in the minds and hearts of a community. This has changed radically in recent years. No more blue laws that keep stores closed on Sundays. Coaches often schedule practices and games on Sundays, which was, for the most part, unheard of even 10 years ago. People have less disposable time, so it's hard enough for many to make time for worship on Sunday mornings, let alone Wednesday evening Bible Study or a Saturday outreach. So what do we do as a church? Do we go along with society, and expect less of our members? Do we shorten our Bible studies and outreaches, and just accept that people will choose the soccer field over the sanctuary if the coach says so? Or do we not change our ways at all, and just insist that people prioritize God (as I believe they should, but realistically, many no longer do) and continue to do things the way we always have? When the culture passes the church by in the fast lane, how does the church remain the church, yet still keep up and stay relevant?

4 comments:

Eric Park said...

Great, great questions, brother.

They make my head hurt!

I just made a comment in response to Jeff Kahl's most recent post. In my response, I raised the issue of what it means for the church to be "engaged" in the culture.

I won't duplicate my comments here. But, suffice it to say that I am convinced that "engagement" is a far safer and better word for the church than "relevance."

The church cannot and will not always be relevant to people who define relevance based upon what it is that satisfies all of their appetites (some of which are unholy). But the church can be meaningfully ENGAGED in visionary ministry and rich cultural conversation, thereby becoming a place with multiple points of entry--an alternative community that is conversant with the cultural climate without bowing down before the altar of accommodation.

That doesn't even begin to answer all the questions, of course. But that's my two cents for now.

Randy Roda said...

Great post, Jeff. I have always been dumbfounded by how high school sports is able to get such high levels of committment from players and parents.

When I was in Greensburg I was in the local Rotary Club. At Rotary they require perfect attendance and you must make up meetings you miss at other clubs. At certain meetings they would recognize people who had years and years of perfect attendace.

On one such occasion, two people from my church were recognized with over 20 years of perfect Rotary attendance. What I thought was interesting was how they were only occasional church attenders.

The question is: Do we demand enough out of our followers?

Keith H. McIlwain said...

I'm reminded of something that Bishop Bickerton said when he arrived in our Conference (he quoted someone else, but I fail to recall the source)..."'Tis the set of the sail and not the gale which determines the way you go." That line has helped to keep me moving when I find myself in "bad weather".

Jeff Kahl said...

Jeffrey,

You sure do think deep thoughts on vacation. Then again, I guess the rain usually puts me in a thoughtful mood too.

I'm with you in your frustration over current cultural trends, and I wish I had an answer. It's tough, but I honestly believe the current situation is going to require less talk and more action. In other words, it's going to require that committed believers live out their faith with more integrity, authenticity, and consistency than ever before, so that the world can see that what Christ offers is more substantial and hopeful than anything else on the market. I don't know if that's even possible, but I go back to Jesus' own words: "Let them see your good works and then praise Your Father in heaven."

Cheers......
Jeffrey