Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Salvation for Young and Old - what about in between?

I had the opportunity this past week to share the gospel and pray with 2 individuals, both of whom prayed to receive Christ. I rejoice in this, and look forward to seeing how life will change, at least for one of them. The title of this post mentions young and old, because that's what these 2 individuals are. One is a 15 year old girl, and the other is an older man on his deathbed. The young girl is facing a very difficult and traumatic time in her life. She has just been diagnosed with cancer, has been cutting herself and using drugs, has alienated many of the people close to her, and her parents are going through a divorce. She called me out of the blue to talk to me about her life (she is from one of my former churches), and I encouraged her to talk to her mother about the drugs and the cutting, and I encouraged her to talk to God and her pastor about some of the other things going on in her life. She didn't know how to talk to God (or her mother, for that matter!), and I tried to give her some guidance on both counts. I firmly believe in the transforming power of the gospel, but I'm not one to hear a tragic story such as hers and simply respond by tellling her to get saved and everything will be ok. I listened, and tried to help her with some of the issues she was facing, and she later asked me how to get saved and asked me to pray with her. Now I hope that God will help her get her life turned around somehow, and shine some light into her darkened world. I feel good that she has connected with God, but I feel horrible for her that all of her problems are still there. She did talk to her mom, and her mom flipped out on her (from a teenager's perspective, anyway). So, I don't know what type of hope to offer her other than a listening ear and continued prayer. I called her current pastor and talked to him about her situation, and he is aware of it and is doing what he can to help. It's just exceedingly complicated on many different levels. At any rate, my post is about her desire to pray and talk to God. The other instance was an older man who is very near death. He also asked me to come and pray with him. He wanted to pray for peace and assurance, knowing that his final days are fast approaching. In my ministry, I have found that youth are very open to God, and that older people (especially in situations of bad health, impending surgeries, etc.) are very open to God. I think the reasons are obvious. But people from age 25-65 are not typically as open as youth and older folks (and that's a pretty big age range!) What are the connection points that we can make with people who are pretty much self-supporting and able to make it on their own two feet? I do have a lot of committed, faithful, middle-aged people in my church. But most of them made those commitments in their youth. Anyone have any positive experiences with leading middle aged folks to God?

3 comments:

Jeff Kahl said...

First of all, praise God for the two salvation experiences, and for your willingness to build relationships and share Christ.

We've been getting a young-adult ministry off the ground here, so I've been wrestling with the same questions you've been asking. From a little bit of the stuff I've been reading, I get the impression that younger adults are so consumed with living life now that they have little time to ask questions about eternity. So my initial thought is, we need to be sure we communicate that Christianity isn't just about getting into the pearly gates, but it's about having the fullness of life here on earth. If you've read any of Rob Bell's books (or better yet, watched his Nooma videos) I find that they resonate with younger adults because of their applicability to life now.

Also, younger folks are not impressed with the sanctimonious aspects of Christianity -- I think they'd much rather just see us authentically admit that we are not perfect, that we don't have all the answers, but we can point them to the One who does. That will show them that we respect them where they are, rather than trying to make them to be "just like us."

Anyway, hope that helps......

The Punk

Anonymous said...

I think of Psalm 51:17 "The sacrifice acceptable to God is a broken spirit; a broken adn contrite heart, O God, you will not dispise." It is when we are weak and vulnerable that we seek God. That is why people seek God when they are old and young (weakness and vulnerablity are more tangent) or in a crisis. For some how we believe the joy we select woudl be better than what the Lord would give us. Even if we have everything. But, I guess that is why David ended up writing this Psalm.

Keith H. McIlwain said...

I echo Jeff and Bob, and thank God that you were in the right place and time to be used for his glory.

I also think that good times to reach younger adults are during important passages of life...weddings, baptisms, even funerals of loved ones. Those have been invaluable times in my ministry.

Robyn finds Povertyneck Hillbillies concerts useful.